Saturday 31 July 2010

Week 3: Monday 26th - Friday 30th

Time really does fly when you're having fun and I think I have gotten over my initial trepidations about working in the studio. Anyway,things have been going good and I've been developing the idea I mentioned before about combining the photocopied images with the mono printing.

The results have been quite exciting in the sense that they are a new discovery for what has been a continuing subject matter and one I am constantly trying to re-invent. Well, re-invent may not be the right word, I think what I'm getting at is that I'm still trying to find a way to make others see what I see in these objects, show their history and intrinsic little details of beauty. I remember reading once that, 'the tools used to make Faberge eggs are often more beautiful than the egg itself', apparently. I have never seen the tools used, but I am sure they are very precise and interesting objects and I suppose it is that way of thinking and appreciation I want people to see or think about these tools. I think, really the best way to do that would probably be making them into some sort of relic, some sort of stained glass window which would be a better way at conveying that idea. However, I'd prefer to adopt a more rustic approach and think there is something more raw, more real and associated with the action of work in making a print with one's hands. Debatably one is not better than the other, but one is definately more me and is what I have chosen to do.

Studio by week three. Note: the floor isn't too bad, mess wise
Mono print of wrench using photocopy.

Oh, and if you're wondering what all those weird marks are that look like technical angles, drawings and such, they're there from some building and construction slides I found in a heap of folders at SCAT. I liked the idea of combing the technical drawings associated with work and making alongside the tools themselves.
Test pieces in combining the photocopy with the printing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment