Saturday 31 July 2010

Space.


Is this image a paradox? I am thinking about the title of a Van Morrison track titled "hymns to the silence" its a song I like or have liked but one that I cant listen to right now . My preference as I write this is Silence... Silence is a rhythm too ! as the wonderful girlie band The Slits sang .
Increasingly during the course of this residency I have become more and more drawn towards the space between things and what happens there. Between places , people and words.
One consequence of my travels between Bath and Taunton was to think of the space between two places. At first I printed out maps of the area. Maps of Tauntonnow and maybe a hundred years ago but gradually this idea of working with the geographic maps of the area faded into the distance . Also I had started some cross stitch semacode as I amalso interested inthe space between time, between new developing technologies and old ones like knitting and cross stitch...Knitting is really a code too.! I started with the ideas of doing a whole cross stitch code but then wondered what would happen if I just wandered with the stitch . The resulting journey mirrors my journey between BAth and Taunton . A place for the soul and mind to regenerate??
John Cage... four minutes silence ... makes perfect sense to me , it should be performed more often . More silence and less filling up the space with noise, not justin terms of sound but also the influx of unwanted visual noise ..We seem to live in a society intent with filling up any empty open space with a noise of one sort or another. Perhaps this is a by product of the industrial revolution to create and consume, we like to think that we are in an age when we consider ourselves to be a little more cautious in the use of the earths resources more so than we once were. The after effects of our desire to consume the earths resources seems to have produce a kind of social psychosis where we fear the empty open spaces.
The space between words

No comments:

Post a Comment