Wednesday 28 July 2010

ArtVoodoo needs YOU!

The residency is flying by, and it's astonishing how things are coming together so quickly! Having started two and a half weeks ago without much idea of exactly what I'd be doing, I now find myself preparing for a performance in town this Saturday, and a couple of other performances-for-camera next week. We met up this lunchtime to talk about the exhibition (opening on 10th August) and it's getting really exciting imagining how it will all look.

But first, we need to do the work, and for this I need your help! As I mentioned in my last post, I'm planning a couple of actions based around activating the regeneration of Taunton. Of course, much regeneration is going on already, in the form of building, economic development, social projects, etc. but I'm thinking about a different aspect of regeneration, through a more personalised, grass-roots and ambiguous reflection, drawing on ritualistic and shamanistic practices. I'm calling the project ArtVoodoo (with my tongue in one cheek) and it's become the central theme of my residency, of which Saturday's performance (in Taunton town centre, from 2pm) will be a lynchpin.

For the performance on Saturday, I'm asking for people's hopes, fears, wishes and worries about the regeneration of Taunton. These will become a physical part of the performance and of the installation that will be in the exhibition, and Natalie and Brian will also have an input, which feels really important and quite touching.

So I'm asking YOU for your hopes, wishes, fears and worries about regeneration in Taunton, and I will dance for them, sweat them out, and do my best to summon the energies to empower, protect and generate. All you have to do is pop them in a quick email (max one line on each) to artvoodoo [at] live.co.uk, by Saturday morning. And of course do come and find me in the town centre from 2pm.

Many thanks in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment